If you are reading this article then I presume you are considering whether or not to purchase an epilator, and would like to know the general merits between epilating and other forms of hair removal. The aim of this article is not to persuade you in one direction or another, but to give you the information to help you decide. Waxing and epilating do pretty much the same thing, but in different ways. Unlike shaving or depilatory cream, waxing and epilating remove the hair from the root, therefore giving your skin a smoother appearance and resulting in a much longer period of time before the hair starts to re-grow.
Waxing removes your body hair by applying a sticky substance to your skin(wax). A fabric strip is then applied on top, pressed down firmly, and then quickly pulled off. The hair underneath the strip is held by the wax and is pulled away from your body, leaving the hair on the wax strip, and your skin smooth. This treatment can be done at home with pre-made wax strips or in a beauty salon.
- Waxing can remove a relatively large area of hair very quickly.
- Waxing also removes the hair from the root, consequently prolonging the time between treatments.
- Probably, the main disadvantage of waxing is the pain involved. For some people, this is just too much, and they often go back to shaving or depilatory cream.
- With waxing you will also have to let you hair re-grow to a length the wax can attach to and pull out. This is normally at least 2 mm.
- You should also consider the ongoing cost of waxing as a hair removal method. Waxing can be quite expensive, you have to continually pay for salon treatment or, if you wax at home, more pre-made wax strips. You also have the inconvenience of booking an appointment at your local salon.
- Waxing may also do some damage the top layer of your skin.
Epilators remove hair by grasping them in small tweezers or pinchers. Up to forty of these tweezers are held on a fast spinning disk. As the disk spins the tweezers open and close grasping and pulling your hair.
- Once purchased, there are no ongoing costs involved.
- most good quality epilators can remove hairs as short as 0.5mm so, there is less time wasted waiting for hairs to re-grow.
- Epilator manufacturers have incorporated many new features to reduce the pain involved while epilating these include: models that can be used in the bath, ice packs, massaging rollers and sonic massaging.
- You do not have to wait for the wax to heat up.
- There is no mess involved.
- Epilators remove a smaller area of hair and so can take up more of your time.
- The discomfort felt for some maybe too much to bare.
- May cause ingrown hair.
- Skin may go be blotchy or red for several hours.
Shaving is hair removal method which involves mechanical razor (which has one or more blades), electric shavers (includes rorating blades), or trimmers (includes small scissors mechanism).
- Shaving is the most popular hair removal method across the world.
- Shaving glows and brightens up your skin instantly by removing very dull thin layer of hairs, oil, dirt and dead cells.
- A good razor with perfect shaving can make your skin very smooth and feels soft right after you shave.
- Shaving is easy to do, can be done at home, portable and a quick way to remove hairs without any requirement use of chemicals or extra preparation.
- A least painful method of hair removal.
- The initial cost of start shaving is quit cheaper in comparison to other hair removal methods.
- After shaving, the hair grows appear more darker, and visible. Ands thats not a good looking thing so, you will have to shave again and again.
- Shaving needs to be done more frequently as comparison to epilator.
- Shaving can make your skin less sensitive.
- Shaving can cause rashes or irritation and have greater chances to become infected especially if your skin is sensitive.
- If atleast not thicker, but shaving will create no effect in making your hairs finer with time.
- If doing not carefully, you make give your skin a cut.
- Skin drys out, so you need to re-hydrate it after shaving.
- For those of you who have sensitive skin it is just not possible to shave too soon after a previous shave without causing a rather unsightly shaving rash. This often means going to two or three days without being able to remove you hair.
Epilator vs Waxing vs Shaving Conclusion
I hope you will now be more familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of all; waxing, shaving and epilating. I also hope this article has made it somewhat easier to decide on the best hair removal method suitable for you. You can of-course use any method of hair removal side by side and have the advantages of both. Tell us what you think. Is epilator better than both waxing and shaving? we would like to hear your experience if any, in comments.